On the cover: Scott McDaniels pilots his RV-6A near the Van’s Aircraft factory in Oregon. Scott—who works at Van’s in the company’s prototype shop—carefully rebuilt the airplane, which he acquired after it had been damaged. Photographed by Ed Hicks near Portland, Oregon.
Table of contents
- Building Unusual: Westfall Special past and present.
- Turbine Temptation—Adding Some Color: John Stahr performs airbrush magic on the jet.
- Buying used—Van’s RV-6: What to look for when shopping for the world’s most popular experimental.
- Avionics Boot Camp—Big Screen EFIS: How you choose might depend on panel space and your control set preference, but the choices are marvelous!
- Homebuilt Accidents—Fire! No pilot’s favorite subject.
- Plane And Simple: Eyes that can see around corners.
- Maintenance Matters: Magneto timing.
- Home Shop Machinist: How to run an airline.
- Aero ’Lectrics: A grid-free hangar.
- Wind Tunnel: Design process—wing structure.
- Editor’s Log: Small screens, big deal.
- Building Time: Just in case.
- Rear Cockpit: Cutting it short.
- Kit Stuff: Where we say “happy retirement” to cartoonist Robrucha.